Of Tangled Strings and Minds

Ramblings, musings, knitting....

Monday, March 13, 2006

Titanic Socks....

Ok, so the name, well you had to be there...
Roggey's first sock lesson went well.
Took me some getting used to using her purling method, but it's all good ( just wish the towel girl hadn't jumped ship )If you teach and your student utilizes a different technique than yours, do theirs when you teach, that way your project will look like theirs and they won't think they are making mistakes when they aren't.
Shared my knowledge about gauge, cast on methods, measuring, not to forget cuffs stretch on the vertical and to allow for that stretch to get the right cuff length.
She decided to do a simple , basic sock for first sock. We are using County Garden DK. Her's in a blue, mine in fire engine red ( pic of my cuff below ) and size 3 needles. The cuff will be 3 inches unstretched in a 2 x 2 ribbing with a matched cable cast on. This cast on, I find gives a really great stretch, yet bounces back to shape really awesome.
This is my variation of the cable cast on , which is actually more of a ribbed cable cast on. If you want the details, just email me, Ill be happy to share. Roggey "sailed" through it without running into an iceberg.
Next we are going to do the heel flap and turn the heel ( relax!!! sounds way more difficult than it is. )
Roggey, I can't thank you enough, I had forgotten how much I love to teach!
And those are some damn cute toes ! Here's the cuff -
)

1 Comments:

  • At 6:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks, hon! I had a great time and the session just flew by! I really dig that altered cable cast on you taught me. I can't wait to use it on other projects now.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home